Intent - What Do We Aspire for Our Children?
Our Curriculum Intent for Music
At Helsby Hillside, our music curriculum aims to engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement. As pupils progress through school, they should develop a critical engagement with music, allowing them to compose, and to listen with discrimination to the best in the musical canon.
The core aims of our curriculum is to ensure that all pupils:
- Perform, listen to, review and evaluate music across a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions, including the works of the great composers and musicians.
- Learn to sing and to use their voices.
- To create and compose music on their own and with others.
- Have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument.
- Understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated.
Through our music curriculum, we develop a sense of wonder, increase self-confidence and bring our school community closer together.