Advert For a Local Authority (LA) Governor
Helsby Hillside Primary School is looking for a Local Authority (LA) Governor to join our governing body due to the retirement of our longstanding LA governor. As a governor you will be a volunteer who makes a vital contribution to the success of the school. School governors have three main roles:
- Governors ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction.
The governing body helps to set long-terms plans for the school, decide where improvements need to be made and how to make them.
- Governors hold the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and the effective and efficient performance management of staff.
The governing body looks at the quality of education being offered and ensures the head is doing everything possible to improve results.
- Governors oversee the financial performance of the school and make sure its money is well spent.
Governors examine budgets and spending proposals to monitor whether the school is getting value for money and ensure the money is spent in the right areas.
This role may be particularly of interest if you have skills in finance/accounting, human resources, data or education but we invite applications from anyone who is interested in helping the school be the best it can be. Full training is available and governors are encouraged to attend regular training sessions, either in person or online. More information about the role of a school governor can be found here
We hold one governing board meeting and three committee meetings per term, you will be expected to attend all governing board meetings and will be appointed to one committee. We are currently reviewing our governing board structure and are considering moving to six full governing board meetings per year (once per half-term) with no separate committee meetings, and this is being trialled during the Summer Term 2022. Meetings are held in school on Wednesday evenings from 5.15pm and last between one and two hours. Governors also occasionally spend time in school during the day.
School governors (like magistrates or members of a jury) have a right to reasonable time off work for their public duties (although this is unpaid). Check with your Human Resources Department for your company’s policy on this.
To be eligible for the LA Governor role you must not work for Helsby Hillside Primary School and you must complete the attached application form which is approved by a LA panel before being agreed by the governing board.
Criteria for LA Governor - candidates who can show they are able to:
- Display support for the main strategic aims of the Education Service in Cheshire West and Chester with regard to achieving the best outcomes for children.
- Keep updated with local and national educational developments.
- Commit time to attend meetings and regular governor training and briefings.
- Respect confidentiality and will agree to adopt the School’s Code of Conduct.
- Operate, collectively, in the best interest of pupils, not as a collection of individuals lobbying on behalf of their constituencies. Once a collective decision has been made, all governors must accept it as being the majority view and be loyal to it outside the school.
- Understand that the task of the governing board is to govern the school, focusing on the core functions of providing strategic leadership, holding the headteacher to account and making sure the school’s money is well spent.
- Have a strong commitment to the role and to improving outcomes for children, the inquisitiveness to question and analyse, and the willingness to learn.
- Have good inter-personal skills, appropriate levels of literacy in English (unless a governing body is prepared to make special arrangements), and sufficient numeracy skills to understand basic data.
- Have, or develop, relevant and appropriate skills. All governors need to understand their role and analyse and interpret the data on the educational and financial performance of the school.
- Be committed to equal opportunities.
You must be 18 or over to apply and all governors must have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. If you would like to find out more please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Helsby Hillside is a single from entry Primary School in the village of Helsby with a Pupil Admission Number (PAN) of 210, currently 207 pupils on roll. We are part of the Frodsham and Villages cluster and most children transfer to the local High School. We are a high achieving school and have high expectations for our pupils. Our motto is ‘Learn, Laugh and Play’ and this provides a real focus for everyone: staff, pupils, governors and friends. We recognise that children learn best in an environment where they feel safe and happy and this is what we strive to achieve.
Please complete the attached application and return to email@example.com by 31st January 2022.